[Ironruby-core] IIS Deployment

Josh Charles josh.charles at gmail.com
Thu Jun 19 17:18:19 EDT 2008

Thank you both for your replies.  There's only about 40 man-hours in
the project so far, so it is possible (though unpreferable) to do a
rewrite in MVC.

I have looked at the papers on running Rails on IIS using both mongrel
and fast-cgi, but unfortunately, both of these are unfeasible.  The
deployment is going to be a sub-site for a public university.
Originally, it didn't seem like it would be a problem to have a linux
server setup, but now things are being locked down tight, so
basically, all I'm going to have access to is x-copy deployment (and a
database script that can be run).  So I won't have any access to the
server, and the servers guys have absolutely no interest in supporting
anything they don't already support.  So basically, IIS and SQL Server
is what I get.

I had already been looking at the IronRuby project, so I thought I
would go ahead and ask.

Thanks again,

On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 4:03 PM, Joe Fiorini <joe at faithfulgeek.org> wrote:
> Not sure which version of IIS you are running, but Mike Volodarsky, a former
> IIS Team Member, has a guide to running RoR on IIS on his
> blog: http://mvolo.com/blogs/serverside/archive/2007/02/18/10-steps-to-get-Ruby-on-Rails-running-on-Windows-with-IIS-FastCGI.aspx.
> HTH!
> Joe
> On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 4:55 PM, Ivan Porto Carrero <ivan at flanders.co.nz>
> wrote:
>> I think august is cutting it a little close. I have no idea how much time
>> you've already spent on it, so dunno if a rewrite in a diff technology is
>> the way to go. And you can deploy RoR to IIS. If you want I can send you a
>> white paper. THe idea is that you forward all the requests to a mongrel.
>> I haven't had much luck with the FastCGI that the IIS team provides. It
>> just doesn't want to do it for me. But using mongrels/thin does work for
>> me.
>> When IronRuby then comes into its own you can always switch to run that
>> app on IronRuby \
>> my 2c.
>> Cheers
>> Ivan
>> On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 8:49 AM, Josh Charles <josh.charles at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> Hello All,
>>> I have a Ruby on Rails codebase that is only partially completed.  Due
>>> to circumstances beyond my control, the production server must be IIS,
>>> and there is absolutely no way to change this.  Deployment is
>>> currently due in mid August, basically two months away.  My question
>>> is this.  What are the chances the IronRuby project will be ready to
>>> handle something like this at that point in time?  Should I basically
>>> take what we have and rewrite it in something like ASP.NET MVC?
>>> I've spent sometime working and thinking about ways to make this
>>> happen.  My approach, which is probably terrible, was to take the
>>> Web.Routing assembly in a regular ASP.NET application, create a
>>> catch-all route and pass all the information to the dispatch.rb file.
>>> Granted, I haven't actually got this to work, and this is probably a
>>> horrible way to do this.
>>> In any case, with deployment two months away, I need to make the
>>> decision now to stick with Rails, or make the switch over...
>>> Sincerely,
>>> Josh