[Ironruby-core] Wondering how many will go with C#, after IronRuby arrives

Joe Fiorini joe at faithfulgeek.org
Wed Jun 18 16:33:04 EDT 2008

> Agreed. I think some on this thread have been too harsh on Microsoft about
> marketing or promoting IronRuby. I think that it is too early to start that
> process. I'm surprised how uneasy some are feeling about Microsoft's plans
> or lack of plans for their DLR-based languages.

I completely agree that it's way too early to be marketing IR.  However, my
comment above came from what I heard from people "in the know" in the Ruby
community, who said that Microsoft won't be putting any marketing dollars
into IR once it's released.  The impetus needs to come from us, the
community.  Sure, there may be some documentation and samples of how to use
it with other MS products, but that's different than marketing.

-Joe

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 1:22 PM, Mike Moore <blowmage at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 10:58 AM, Curt Hagenlocher <curth at microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>
>> We think that there's more than enough value on the .NET platform to
>> retain developers.
>>
>> Quite frankly, if you're looking to write Ruby or Python code that doesn't
>> take advantage of .NET features (such as cross-language interoperability,
>> Windows Forms, WPF or Silverlight) then you're probably better off using the
>> original "C" implementation of those languages -- and we have no interest in
>> spending money trying to convince you otherwise.
>>
>> On the other hand, if you want to create a WPF app using Python, or embed
>> a Ruby-based DSL for business rules inside your C# application, or write a
>> rich internet application using either of these languages, then you're the
>> developer that we're working hard to satisfy.  And MRI and CPython aren't
>> really alternatives in these scenarios.
>>

> Don't forget the folks who for one reason or another are tied to Windows as
> a platform. My hope is that IronRuby is Ruby enough to replace MRI, so I
> don't have to mentally switch back and forth from implementation to
> implementation when I have a need for .NET interop.
>
> Also, I think there are alot of developers who desperately want to be able
> to easily deploy Django or Rails apps on IIS7. Easily meaning minimal fuss
> and not having to involve the sysadmin folks. I know this is not a stated
> goal, but if you could demonstrate easy deployment and show a significant
> performance improvement you/Microsoft may actually gain new users.
>
> The success of *any* programming language or environment depends largely on
>> the community that grows up around it.
>>

> Agreed. I think some on this thread have been too harsh on Microsoft about
> marketing or promoting IronRuby. I think that it is too early to start that
> process. I'm surprised how uneasy some are feeling about Microsoft's plans
> or lack of plans for their DLR-based languages.

joe fiorini
http://www.faithfulgeek.org
// freelancing & knowledge sharing