[Ironruby-core] Understanding Open Source development (WAS: long rambling thread about random stuff)

John Lam (IRONRUBY) jflam at microsoft.com
Wed Jun 18 13:45:06 EDT 2008

IronRuby is released as an Open Source project today, because we are interested in attracting contributors to help us finish the implementation. We have gotten some awesome contributions from folks in the community, and I thank you all for your continued help and support.

IronRuby is not ready for folks to *use*; this is why we haven't released binaries yet. We have a lot of work to do to improve our working set, our startup time, and our throughput. When we have acceptable quality around those numbers, we will begin releasing binaries and marking them as "Alphas", "Betas", "RCs" etc. At that time I'll talk more about plans for the future.

There are folks on this list who are interested in becoming users of the language, as opposed to contributors. To you early adopters, I applaud your courage :) You can help us out by answering questions on the forums, filing bug reports, writing FAQs, maintaining the wiki, twittering, blogging etc. But let's turn our attention back to the work at hand - finishing IronRuby. You can all help out in your own way.

Before posting, however, ask yourself - is what you're posting helping to move IronRuby forward in a constructive way?