[Ironruby-core] Wondering how many will go with C#, after IronRuby arrives

Mike Moore blowmage at gmail.com
Wed Jun 18 13:22:33 EDT 2008

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 10:58 AM, Curt Hagenlocher <curth at microsoft.com>
wrote:

> We think that there's more than enough value on the .NET platform to retain
> developers.
>
> Quite frankly, if you're looking to write Ruby or Python code that doesn't
> take advantage of .NET features (such as cross-language interoperability,
> Windows Forms, WPF or Silverlight) then you're probably better off using the
> original "C" implementation of those languages -- and we have no interest in
> spending money trying to convince you otherwise.
>
> On the other hand, if you want to create a WPF app using Python, or embed a
> Ruby-based DSL for business rules inside your C# application, or write a
> rich internet application using either of these languages, then you're the
> developer that we're working hard to satisfy.  And MRI and CPython aren't
> really alternatives in these scenarios.

Don't forget the folks who for one reason or another are tied to Windows as
a platform. My hope is that IronRuby is Ruby enough to replace MRI, so I
don't have to mentally switch back and forth from implementation to
implementation when I have a need for .NET interop.

Also, I think there are alot of developers who desperately want to be able
to easily deploy Django or Rails apps on IIS7. Easily meaning minimal fuss
and not having to involve the sysadmin folks. I know this is not a stated
goal, but if you could demonstrate easy deployment and show a significant
performance improvement you/Microsoft may actually gain new users.

The success of *any* programming language or environment depends largely on
> the community that grows up around it.

Agreed. I think some on this thread have been too harsh on Microsoft about
marketing or promoting IronRuby. I think that it is too early to start that
process. I'm surprised how uneasy some are feeling about Microsoft's plans
or lack of plans for their DLR-based languages.