[Ironruby-core] Wondering how many will go with C#, after IronRuby arrives

Curt Hagenlocher curth at microsoft.com
Wed Jun 18 12:58:43 EDT 2008

We think that there's more than enough value on the .NET platform to retain developers.

Quite frankly, if you're looking to write Ruby or Python code that doesn't take advantage of .NET features (such as cross-language interoperability, Windows Forms, WPF or Silverlight) then you're probably better off using the original "C" implementation of those languages -- and we have no interest in spending money trying to convince you otherwise.

On the other hand, if you want to create a WPF app using Python, or embed a Ruby-based DSL for business rules inside your C# application, or write a rich internet application using either of these languages, then you're the developer that we're working hard to satisfy.  And MRI and CPython aren't really alternatives in these scenarios.

The success of *any* programming language or environment depends largely on the community that grows up around it.