[Ironruby-core] Wondering how many will go with C#, after IronRuby arrives

Curtis Mitchell curtismitchell at gmail.com
Wed Jun 18 12:38:35 EDT 2008

I suppose from the MSFT perspective, the IronX projects are a shot at doing
something (mostly) community-driven.  In a sense, marketing IronRuby or
IronPython is a double-edge sword for MSFT.  On one hand, the languages are
bringing some great features to the .NET platform as a whole, but on the
other hand, learning them will also increase a developer's ability (and
possibly likeliness) to jump from .NET to Matz Ruby or CPython.  When you
consider (my assumption) that Ruby and Python programmers aren't as spirited
about becoming .NET programmers, it's easier to justify MSFT's reluctance to
market these projects.

Aside from that controversial argument I just invented, the success of these
projects really depend on us, the community.

The Silverlight Machine will bring some adopters, but even those people will
read our blogs and forum posts before taking the leap from C#.