[Ironruby-core] Wondering how many will go with C#, after IronRuby arrives

Michael Letterle michael.letterle at gmail.com
Wed Jun 18 12:00:22 EDT 2008

> > I have to agree with Mike here.  Ruby development with TextMate (a
> > text editor only) works wonderfully, but I would be hesitant to
> > develop C# applications in the same way.

It ain't so shabby in "e" either (TextMate clone for Windows) :)

> ----------------------------------
> Majority of IronRuby developers will be using Ironruby for web designing
> purpose, and working with Asp.Net MVC with IronRuby, a good IDE like VS
> Express is a must.

I don't know about this, I see a BIG future in IronRuby for scripting
business logic written in other .NET languages.  Developing DSLs for
existing business logic that is already existing.

> As much as I hate to, I would have to agree that IDE support for IronRuby
> with other .NET applications is a necessity.  I've tried to do MVC
> development in TextMate and I can say it's very difficult.  Not from an
> IntelliSense perspective, I can live without that, but building your code &
> creating the web.config and other necessary files is made far more difficult
> by not having IDE support.
That's what TextMate bundles are for!

As for IronRuby being ignored by MS... I'm not sure about that, there's been
alot of sexy Silverlight demos I've seen using IronRuby both by MSers and
non MSers.  But I don't think they're really going to consider pushing it
until it hits a 1.0 release,  IR still needs quite a bit of work.

Michael Letterle
[Polymath Prokrammer]