[Ironruby-core] Wondering how many will go with C#, after IronRuby arrives

Joe Fiorini joe at faithfulgeek.org
Wed Jun 18 10:59:08 EDT 2008

As much as I hate to, I would have to agree that IDE support for IronRuby
with other .NET applications is a necessity.  I've tried to do MVC
development in TextMate and I can say it's very difficult.  Not from an
IntelliSense perspective, I can live without that, but building your code &
creating the web.config and other necessary files is made far more difficult
by not having IDE support.
Along those lines, I feel the need to mention that MS has already said they
are not going to be marketing IronRuby at all.  They will put it out there
and it will be up to us to market it.  It's usage will depend on coming up
with valid use cases for Ruby.  ASP.NET MVC with IR is a great example.
 However, companies that already have an investment in C# or VB will likely
stick with that.

-Joe

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 10:27 AM, Softmind Technology <lists at ruby-forum.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We are talking about pure IronRuby applications here. For Plain Ruby
> development we already have many options
>
> The real fact is "Asp.Net MVC with IronRuby", needs a great IDE
> support,the same way Vb.Net and C# needs today.
>
> Without IDE, it will take ages to create folders with MVC approach.
>
> If MSFT and IronRuby team are really serious about their first Open
> Source Project, they should not neglect a great IDE.
>
> It would be really sad to lose large amount of ruby developers moving
> away from .net without a good IDE support.
>
> CLR + DLR with great .net framework is the best thing happened to
> us.MSFT should not kill this charm with a lack of good IDE.
> --

joe fiorini
http://www.faithfulgeek.org
// freelancing & knowledge sharing