[Ironruby-core] Wondering how many will go with C#, after IronRuby arrives

Curt Hagenlocher curt at hagenlocher.org
Wed Jun 18 10:25:39 EDT 2008

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 6:58 AM, Rahil Kantharia <lists at ruby-forum.com> wrote:
> MSFT created C#, just to attract Java community, but infact it did not
> happen.
> Java was scared of Ruby and hence jRuby appeared. MS waked up a bit
> later and now we have IronRuby.

If you start with C++ and remove all of its painful, unsafe and
rarely-used features, you're going to end up with a language that
looks like Java.  That's not to say that Java wasn't an influence on
C#, but the language was clearly aimed primarily at C++ programmers
already on a Microsoft platform.  Another way of looking at it is to
recognize that in 1999, Microsoft had two first-class development
environments -- VB6 and VC6.  VB.NET was the CLR "upgrade path" for
the VB6 programmers and C# served the same purpose for VC6.

As for "Java was scared of Ruby", I assume by Java that you mean Sun.
Sun didn't start supporting JRuby until well after the project was
started by people in the community.  Well before that, there was
Jython -- an implementation of Python for the JVM.  The creator of
Jython was Jim Hugunin, who went on to create IronPython and work for
Microsoft.  And this was before Ruby's fairly recent meteoric (and
largely Rails-driven) rise to prominence.  So, interest in dynamic
languages has been growing steadily over the last decade and it's not
just some recent mad (and fear-based) scramble to support them.

Finally, I think you'll find that -- at least in the short term --
most programmers don't have a choice about the language they use; it's
dictated to them by their employer.

Curt Hagenlocher
curt at hagenlocher.org