[Ironruby-core] Wondering how many will go with C#, after IronRuby arrives

Mike Moore blowmage at gmail.com
Wed Jun 18 09:55:14 EDT 2008

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 4:33 AM, Ben Hall <ben2004uk at googlemail.com> wrote:

> I think 'jumping ship' is the wrong way to think about it. C# is still
> a very useful language, however in certain situations Ruby is the more
> logical choice. I don't see this as either\or, but a way to extend
> your toolset and choice the right language for your scenario - be it
> C#, Ruby or even VB.net!  Plus there are a lot of legacy systems and
> knowledge based around C#, certainly a decision when deciding on your
> language.

I believe the future will be similar to the whole 'polyglot programming' or
'language oriented programming' meme. A strong focus on domain specific
languages built with dynamic languages, lots of business logic in a dynamic
language, and a platform layer underneath built with a language like C# that
is closely aligned with the VM.

I did a presentation about this. You can get the slides here:

And I recorded a podcast with Ola Bini about this. You can find that here: