[Ironruby-core] Announcing IronEditor - An Editor for IronRuby, IronPython and other DLR languages

Ben Hall ben2004uk at googlemail.com
Sun Jul 20 11:04:46 EDT 2008

Hi Peter,

It's definitely a valid suggestion! The reason why I didn't go down
the route of plugging into SharpDevelop \ MonoDevelop is because I
wanted to provide something quick, lightweight and easy to start using
without having to install too many additional items. I want the
application to be focused on the DLR and dynamic languages, not sure
hacked on the side. If I want to write a quick Ruby script, I don't
want to wait 10 minutes for the IDE to load and create a new solution
etc - I just want a way to write the code, maybe debug, maybe unit
test and execute. Hopefully, IronEditor will provide that support.

I'm not 100% confident you could easily fit a dynamic language into an
IDE developed with statically typed languages in mind without either
changing a lot of the core IDE functionality, or not taking full
advantage of the language itself.  It will be interesting to see how
the team copes with VS integration.

Maybe I am going down the wrong route, if there is a strong feeling
for having this integrated instead of a standalone application then I
will take a much closer look.

Thanks for the comment.

Ben