[Ironruby-core] MutableString encoding issue

Michael Letterle michael.letterle at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 09:21:09 EDT 2008

This was a known issue a while back, it's the reason the Zlib library didn't
work well with binary files.  I'm fairly certain there was work being done
on making String be backed by a byte array... and in fact I thought this was
already done.

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 2:20 AM, Oleg Tkachenko <olegtk at microsoft.com>
wrote:

>  Stumbled on this when testing yaml.

> => "?"
>

> While
>

> irb(main):005:0>"\204"
>
> => "\204"
>

> I believe Ruby string can hold arbitrary byte values, but as we are storing
> content as a string we are obviously losing all values that cannot be
> represented in default encoding. Tomas, what do you think?
>

> --
>
> Oleg

Michael Letterle
[Polymath Prokrammer]