[Ironruby-core] Numeric stuff

John Lam (DLR) jflam at microsoft.com
Fri Jan 18 10:26:20 EST 2008

Peter Bacon Darwin:

> Here is a patch for the rest of the number stuff.

Thanks for sending this in, Peter! We'll review and get comments back out soon.

> Finally, all the Rubinius specs think that 0x40000000 is a Bignum but
> in IronRuby (and JRuby) this is  Fixnum.  Therefore most of the bignum
> specs are actually testing against Fixnum instead of Bignum.  So the
> Bignum functionality is not being given a work-out and more
> annoyingly, where there are different semantics between Fixnum and
> Bignum, the specs fail (i.e. Fixnum#div vs Bignum#div).

This is a known problem in JRuby as well since they use 64 bit longs to represent Fixnums. Since the size of a Fixnum is a platform dependent thing (have no idea how 64 bit Ruby behaves) the specs are wrong and need to be fixed. I've cc'd Brian Ford, the spec owner on this.

Thanks,
-John