[Ironruby-core] General advice

Ivan Porto Carrero ivan at flanders.co.nz
Sat Jan 5 02:43:05 EST 2008

Thanks for that.
I can't believe I didn't know about DataMapper and rBatis, those seem like a
better fit to what I want. I can follow your reasoning on ActiveRecord and
it does have some weight for me, most people will be using active record
because it comes with rails.
I guess I could take some relevant snippets from that source code to
illustrate how it has been done, because i wanted to use a model layer as an
example of metaprogramming. I'll have a play with the ones you just proposed
and maybe cover one in addition to ActiveRecord so that readers know there
are options.  The Sequel one looks like a nice and easy one to use.

At this point I'm only planning to talk about using another .NET language
for illustrative purposes but I want to create a pure ironruby solution
that's for sure. However talking about IronRuby wouldn't be complete without
talking about the Iron in IronRuby and highlighting some of the interop
possibilities there are too. Because suddenly you're not limited anymore to
libraries in your favorite language but you can use libraries from a
collection of languages and a more vast community.  That being said about
99.5% of the code samples will be Ruby.

The book will take the reader through building an application built with
IronRuby that leverages most of the .NET technologies like WPF, Silverlight,
ASP.NET MVC, Webforms etc.
I don't really want to spend a lot of time explaining rails, because there
is also plenty of information available about rails, but i will show that
you can do with rails and IronRuby. I'll also demonstrate how gems can make
your life easier etc.

A downside of showing WPF is that the reader won't be able to run those
samples on mono, or will he?

Keep the feedback coming, I like it :)