[Ironruby-core] Ruby In Steel IronRuby Edition - how about XAML / WPF? :-)

Robert Brotherus robert.brotherus at napa.fi
Fri Feb 29 02:51:27 EST 2008

Thanks for the great tool Huw!

Have been playing with that for a while and feels really decent for an
"alpha" version :-)

Since we IronRuby early adopters are "living on the bleeding edge",
there might be quite a few (including our company) that are more
interested in WPF GUI:s (preverably with XAML, but possibly without)
instead of the older Windows Forms. I am curious about Sapphire Steels
plans / opinions on feasibility of combining WPF/XAML support their
tool?

I have myself a working proto of an application with WPF/XAML defined
GUI:s and IronRuby event-handlers implemented as proxy-objects for the
MSBuild-generated WPF Widget classes. While this approach works, it is
not optimally elegant since the event handler methods are not
first-class members of the widget classes. But we could not take the
approach of extending the WPF-classes as IronRuby-classes because of our
heavy reliance of XAML that refers to other XAML-defined custom classes:

<Panel>
	<OurCustomWidget a="xxx" b="yyy/>
</Panel>

To my understanding XAML does not support a DLR-classes (=IronRuby) as
"OurCustomWidget" in such context (I would be happy to be proven wrong
of course! :-)

Robert Brotherus
Software architect
Napa Ltd