[Ironruby-core] Dead Slow Progress on IronRuby... No Beta Yet

Sanghyeon Seo sanxiyn at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 05:25:10 EST 2008

2008/2/27, John Lam (DLR) <jflam at microsoft.com>:
> That's OK. But you can download and build from sources, right? If so, then you can contribute by writing tutorials about your experiences, or by filing bug reports.
>  If *building* IronRuby blocks you from participating, expect that to be fixed post-MIX.

Indeed, if you have some Ruby knowledge, the easiest way to contribute
for outsiders is to try to use your favorite Ruby library or to run
your favorite Ruby application with IronRuby, and report minimal
testcases. This does not require any C# or DLR knowledge.

Testing and testcase reduction are very important works, and can be rewarding.

That said, the problem is that IronRuby is currently so incomplete
that you can hardly require any Ruby standard library before running
into problems. In my experience this has been the most discouraging.

In comparison, I could require 'date' and 'url' in Ruby.NET just after
a small number of bug fixes.

Seo Sanghyeon