[Ironruby-core] Towards Rails on .NET

John Lam (DLR) jflam at microsoft.com
Thu Feb 21 11:28:13 EST 2008

Michael Letterle:

> Awesome information, thanks for bringing us all up a bit to speed!
>
> I'm not just referring to libraries though, I'm talking about the core
> functionality (this is, after all, Ironruby-core ;) )
>
> Some (all?) of the libraries will have dependencies on things that must
> be implemented in the core IronRuby code, what still needs to be done
> in the core code and what can we do to help there?
>
> My assumption (and it may be wrong) is that once a majority of the core
> functionality is in place, and stable, then the libraries will come
> quicker.
>
> In other words, the cake is still soft in the middle, we can't start
> putting icing on until it's done baking.  What can we do to help stoke
> the oven?

There's a lot of stuff that we still need to work on in the language, and Wayne's last mail contains a lot of pointers on things that we still have to do.

I'm not sure there are any simple tasks that we have in the core language for folks to hack on. There's a fairly steep learning curve there, much more so than in the libs.

The big rocks in core that are left:

1) Better .NET interop - our story for data binding today is virtually non-existent, we don't correctly convert blocks to delegates to support async pattern, etc.
2) String-based eval and bindings
3) Finishing off the Ruby reflection-esque API (essentially everything in Module).

Thanks,
-John