[Ironruby-core] Towards Rails on .NET

Michael Letterle michael.letterle at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 15:23:17 EST 2008

Awesome information, thanks for bringing us all up a bit to speed!

I'm not just referring to libraries though, I'm talking about the core
functionality (this is, after all, Ironruby-core ;) )

Some (all?) of the libraries will have dependencies on things that
must be implemented in the core IronRuby code, what still needs to be
done in the core code and what can we do to help there?

My assumption (and it may be wrong) is that once a majority of the
core functionality is in place, and stable, then the libraries will
come quicker.

In other words, the cake is still soft in the middle, we can't start
putting icing on until it's done baking.  What can we do to help stoke
the oven?

Or is this an unrealistic view?

On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 11:14 AM, John Lam (DLR) <jflam at microsoft.com> wrote:
> Michael Letterle:
>

>  > That leads to the question of... what can we, as outside contributors,
>  > do /now/ to help.  I feel like there's alot of work going on, that we
>  > just don't know about... I'd hate to see duplicate efforts wasted.
>
>  Thanks for your enthusiasm, Michael!
>
>  Let me give an update on what my team here at Microsoft is doing: we're working towards MIX08.

[snip]

>  The best way for you to lay claim (today) to some library is announce your intentions on this list. There are folks who have claimed stuff on the wiki, but who haven't updated us on status. So let's assume that for now there aren't any claims anywhere (with the exception of Wayne Kelly looking at OpenSSL and zlib support).
>
>  My SL demo app for MIX is writing the web app that will let folks 'reserve' a library to work on based on scenarios. This will let us focus our efforts on places that need it, as well as providing valuable status reports without resorting to email. I'm still writing the app since it involves using a bunch of technology that I don't really use all that often. So hang in there ... it will be done soon!
>

>  Thanks,
>  -John

Michael Letterle
[Polymath Programmer]