[Ironruby-core] Towards Rails on .NET

John Lam (DLR) jflam at microsoft.com
Wed Feb 20 11:14:18 EST 2008

Michael Letterle:

> That leads to the question of... what can we, as outside contributors,
> do /now/ to help.  I feel like there's alot of work going on, that we
> just don't know about... I'd hate to see duplicate efforts wasted.

Thanks for your enthusiasm, Michael!

Let me give an update on what my team here at Microsoft is doing: we're working towards MIX08.

Silverlight is its own branch, and we sync up to Silverlight periodically for big events. So while we were working on the standard libraries, we weren't tracking Silverlight (well John Messerly is, but that's a whole other story ... :))

Since MIX is right around the corner (March 5-7), we're working on getting demos working for MIX and generally looking at how Ruby and dynamic languages in general fit with the Silverlight development story. Keep in mind that Silverlight is initially about browser JavaScript programming (V1) and now .NET based languages programming (V2). Our job is to make sure that the APIs that they designed for V2 work well with dynamic languages. And the best way to do that is by writing code against their APIs.

So we haven't been spending much time at all working on core libraries and Ruby features - we're mostly concerned with getting our demos / labs working for MIX. This gives us a chance to exercise our .NET interop story and look for holes in that story (and there are a bunch when it comes to data binding scenarios). It lets us figure out how much work there still is to do in our binder.

Once MIX is done, we'll resume working on libraries and getting the last few language features implemented.

The best way for you to lay claim (today) to some library is announce your intentions on this list. There are folks who have claimed stuff on the wiki, but who haven't updated us on status. So let's assume that for now there aren't any claims anywhere (with the exception of Wayne Kelly looking at OpenSSL and zlib support).

My SL demo app for MIX is writing the web app that will let folks 'reserve' a library to work on based on scenarios. This will let us focus our efforts on places that need it, as well as providing valuable status reports without resorting to email. I'm still writing the app since it involves using a bunch of technology that I don't really use all that often. So hang in there ... it will be done soon!