[Ironruby-core] Towards Rails on .NET

M. David Peterson m.david at xmlhacker.com
Sun Feb 17 22:25:45 EST 2008

Hi Wayne,

This is great!  More below...

On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 17:29:41 -0700, Wayne Kelly <w.kelly at qut.edu.au> wrote:

> Note, there are many different web server options that we could persue.
> We could for example not worry about WEBrick and go straight to IIS as a
> host and so avoid implementing the socket library. Ultimately, I think
> we want to be web server agnostic, That is, we should aim to provide a
> drop in replacement for "rubyw.exe" that works regardless of which web
> server (IIS, Apache, WEBrick, Mongrel, etc) that administrators choose
> to adopt.

+1.  I would suggest we adopt using either XSP or Cassini, both of which
are small and capable.  XSP is specifically an HTTP 1.0 server.  Not sure
if Cassini covers 1.1 or not.  Anyone know?

> That said, Windows is currently considered a second class platform for
> deploying Rails and the setup can be quite complex and buggy in some
> configurations. In the longer term we should aim to improve this
> situation.

Using either XSP or Cassini will help in that if we can get it to run via
either, then getting it to run via IIS and/or through mod_mono/fastcgi
should be quite a bit easier.

> For production Rails we'll want to support IIS 7.0 well on server
> machines, but for those that just want to try it out, I believe we
> should also make sure it can be made to work on desktop machines such as
> mine with IIS 5 and XP.
> Your thoughts?

We need to place focus on providing support via FastCGI such that getting
it to work on lighty, Apache, etc. is simple and straight forward.  Using
Mono's FastCGI support should make this drop dead simple.

M. David Peterson
http://mdavid.name | http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/au/2354 |