[Ironruby-core] Towards Rails on .NET

Wayne Kelly w.kelly at qut.edu.au
Sun Feb 17 19:35:32 EST 2008

Below is a table summarizing the extension libraries that are needed by a number of simple Rails use cases. These libraries are implemented in Matz's Ruby Interpreter in C code rather than in Ruby code, so we'll need to port or at least wrap them in some way.

 Use Case

Win32API

Syck
(YAML)

thread

socket

stringio

zlib

digest

strscan

openssl

sqlite3_api

Setup gems

Gem install rails

Rails create app

Start WEBrick

WEBrick process static html page

WEBrick process dynamic controller page

IIS CGI dispatch

I'd like to start working on some of these libraries, but first want to check who is already working on what. I understand that John Messerly is working on a YAML port and according to the WIKI, Eduardo Flores is working on stringio and Curt Hagenlocher is working on strscan. Is this list correct and complete. Is anyone else already working on any of these libraries?

To support these simple use cases, typically only a small number of functions from these libraries is actually needed. If you are going to work on any of these libraries, I can provide you with a list of the actual functions and with the exact signature/overrides that are actually used by these use cases.

Cheers, Wayne.