[Ironruby-core] IronRuby debugging support in VS

Huw Collingbourne lists at ruby-forum.com
Thu Feb 14 11:17:46 EST 2008

John Lam (DLR) wrote:
> Robert Brotherus:

> Keep in mind that this in no way is a complete language service. As the
> good folks over at Sapphire in Steel will tell you, there's a ton more
> work to do than just getting syntax coloring and debugging working (in
> their case it was actual work since they had to write a debugger and a
> scanner and parser).

I can confirm that ;-)

It's been our experience that many people hugely underestimate the work
required to create a first class IDE for Visual Studio. It's a constant
frustration to us that people usually refer to our IDE, Ruby in Steel,
as a 'plugin' (which makes it sound trivial) whereas in actual fact it
is a 'package' which is a completely different beast from a plugin - a
package is really deep integrated with VS, just like the 'standard'
languages such as C# and VB.NET. I can tell you that creating this kind
of IDE is a massive undertaking.

We are just about to look at the IronRuby debugger and we aim to
integrate a visual IronRuby debugger into an alpha or beta release of
Ruby In Steel for IronRuby asap. In the meantime, we'll be releasing the
alpha of our IronRuby IDE to our customers in the next week or two -
this will have the form designer but not yet the debugger. See here:
http://www.sapphiresteel.com/IronRuby-Developments-the-Visual

best wishes
Huw

SapphireSteel Software