[Ironruby-core] IronRuby debugging support in VS

John Lam (DLR) jflam at microsoft.com
Thu Feb 14 10:25:59 EST 2008

Robert Brotherus:

> I was wondering if this means that IronRuby 1.0 release can be expected
> to ship with a plug-in or similar to VisualStudio to enable such
> debugging with the IDE?

Yes. We're working on a rudimentary language service and we're hoping to get debugging on par with what IronPython provides today. The ETA for the debugging check-in is sometime next week. The language service will take a while longer to whip into shape, and we'll likely be showing it off at MIX.

Keep in mind that this in no way is a complete language service. As the good folks over at Sapphire in Steel will tell you, there's a ton more work to do than just getting syntax coloring and debugging working (in their case it was actual work since they had to write a debugger and a scanner and parser).

Today we don't have plans to fully productize IronRuby a'la C# or JScript in VS. Consider this the min bar of what my team will provide: syntax coloring, some kind of project system, and VS debugging support.