[Ironruby-core] IronXXX for custom WPF-components in XAML

Robert Brotherus robert.brotherus at napa.fi
Mon Feb 11 09:17:09 EST 2008

We are evaluating IronRuby and/or IronPython to use as event handling
script language in a WPF / XAML GUI project.

Our current XAML / C# design has the regular VS2008 -generated logic of
creating custom class (and enbedded BAML) for each XAML-file. We also
use heavily custom controls to build up larger panels / windows:

MyControl.xaml:

<UserControl xaml:class="MyControl">
</UserControl>

Window1.xaml:

<Window xaml:class="Window1">
	<Button>...</Button>
	<MyControl>
	</MyConrol>
</Windows>

While I have been able to attach event handlers defined in IronPython
2.0 to the various GUI classes, I would find it more natural if I could
derive classes in Ruby from the corresponding CLR-classes:

class MyControlRuby < MyControl

	def Clicked(sender, args)
	end

However, I suspect that re-using such classes on the XAML-side would not
work:

<Window xaml:class="Window1">
	<Button>...</Button>
	<MyControlRuby>
	</MyConrolRuby>
</Windows>

Can someone confirm or deny my assumption about XAML being
not-so-DLR-language-friendly here as I suppose?

Might this approach have better changes of success if I would use
IronPython 1.1 that can supposedly compile Python classes to CLR
classes?

Robert Brotherus
Software architect
Napa Ltd