[Ironruby-core] Support For Referencing Ruby Libs As Embedded Resources?

John Messerly jomes at microsoft.com
Fri Feb 8 21:09:25 EST 2008

Curt Hagenlocher:

> On Feb 8, 2008 5:48 PM, John Messerly <jomes at microsoft.com> wrote:
> > M. David Peterson:
> >
> > > A recent inquiry on the Ruby.NET list brought up the question as to
> > > whether or not the ability to reference ruby libs as embedded
> > > resources is supported or will be supported via IronRuby. e.g.,
> > >
> > > require 'res://assembly.dll/foo/bar'
> >
> > Is the embedded resource a Ruby file or something else?
> > What is the feature used for?
>
> I imagine the idea is to make deployment more robust by putting the
> Ruby source somewhere that a user can't screw up. ;)
>
> At least, that's what *I'd* want it for...

Right, but if you have a DLL already, you can just host IronRuby from C# and feed it Ruby code however you want to.

I guess I'd be hesitant to change the meaning of "require". The way we have it now (require 'mscorlib') is nice because it's not changing the behavior. If you really wanted to you could write mscorlib.rb and run your code on another Ruby implementation.

- John