[Ironruby-core] Any Plans for a StarterKit in IronRuby on CodePlex.

Ivan Porto Carrero ivan at flanders.co.nz
Thu Feb 7 15:39:39 EST 2008

The rubyists already know how to connect to mysql don't they :). Because
IronRuby will support everything MRI supports that means that the ruby-dbi
library should also work on IronRuby. And in that case there are plenty of
tutorials on the web that actually show that.  I do want to show new things
in the book and not stuff that is ubiquitous on the web or available in 20
other books.
That being said I had planned to talk about DataMapper and Sequel as ruby
ORM's and probably very briefly mention that there is rBatis an iBatis
implementation in Ruby. I'll see how I can work Linq2Sql in. But if I'm
going to show Linq2Sql that would probably mean generating the Linq2Sql
classes in C# and then using that assembly from your code. Because at this
time IronRuby doesn't support custom attributes and I believe Linq2Sql needs
those for it's metadata. I haven't properly looked into Linq2Sql yet except
for a demo I did a couple of months ago.

I'm mostly interested in having a DBI provider, based on ADO.NET that would
mean you get an almost drop in replacement for most exisiting ruby
applications by just changing the connection string and for rails by
creating a new client adapter that understands the ADO.NET connection
Or do you mean leveraging the ADO.NET providers directly ?

For me this is perfect time to have this discussion on which data access
people are interested in because this is what I'll be writing about next.
It makes my job easier when I get feedback so I know what is really of
interest to the community instead of guessing for it :)