[Ironruby-core] Any Plans for a StarterKit in IronRuby on CodePlex.

John Lam (DLR) jflam at microsoft.com
Thu Feb 7 12:01:44 EST 2008

Ivan Porto Carrero:

> But I think that in most webapps for example the performance
> bottleneck is the way the data is handled.Because typically you're
> doing things on a per request basis and most of the operations aren't
> that computational intensive at all, the difference isn't that bad.
> And if needs be you can always perform those tasks that need that
> extra bit of performance in a statically compiled assembly.

A couple of points here:

1) If you s/performance/efficiency/ you'll see the problem from a different light. Server virtualization and power efficiency are becoming things that lots of folks are concerned with these days. So while optimizing *latency* may not be important due to being IO bound, doing more with the CPU cycles that are available and the energy cost per CPU cycle is becoming more and more important, especially as sites grow.

2) A statically compiled assembly won't necessarily buy you better performance. Certainly not today. So I think that you still need to think about efficiency vs. latency / perf.

> I think IronRuby and WPF is also a winner but not as much as
> Silverlight is.

+1 on the Silverlight comment. I think this is a place where we can do things that most other implementations cannot. We will have reasonably broad reach of SL by the end of this year, which is the base platform for running IronRuby in the browser. Now what folks will actually do with Ruby in the browser is something that I would love to spin up a discussion around. Thoughts are welcome here.

Thanks,
-John