[Ironruby-core] Any Plans for a StarterKit in IronRuby on CodePlex.

Ivan Porto Carrero ivan at flanders.co.nz
Thu Feb 7 04:37:40 EST 2008

Well I quit my job to be able to spend more time on Silverlight and IronRuby
as a consultant because I think that one takes the cake :)
I think that most people will go to IronRuby to have something like
RubyOnRails.NET (IronRubyOnRails).

I personally like Ruby best for the web and for automating my common desktop
tasks, using Rake as a replacement for msbuild or nant.
Once you get the hang of Ruby you can do so much more in a day than you
could with a language like say C#.

One of the things I'm looking forward to, is to be able to use rspec and
mocha as my unit test framework instead of one out the plethora of c# ones.
Mocking becomes so much easier with ruby, where in C# i have it associated
with pain.

I'm coming from a .NET background before I did ruby, so I'll be probably
most inclined to find a good balance between using what's there from the
ruby community and what's in the .NET framework.  To use an empty term the
best tool for the job.

I'm also looking forward to getting a bunch of nice dsl's around .NET
libraries etc.

I'll probably use it for most things I come across.  IronRuby code executes
slower than C# code which will be one of the objections you get.
But I think that in most webapps for example the performance bottleneck is
the way the data is handled.Because typically you're doing things on a per
request basis and most of the operations aren't that computational intensive
at all, the difference isn't that bad. And if needs be you can always
perform those tasks that need that extra bit of performance in a statically
compiled assembly.

It's hard to tell what will actually happen because using IronRuby for
webforms programming should make that model also very attractive. Especially
for ASP.NET developers from today because they won't need to learn a new
framework and mindset they can happily stick with viewstate, css control
adapters and controls.

Another thing that interests me is how I would be able to leverage the
ASP.NET MVC Framework because as a personal preference I like that one the
best for doing MVC because almost no choices have been made for me. Where
other people will find a more opionated framework more suitable for their
taste.

I think IronRuby and WPF is also a winner but not as much as Silverlight is.

I'd like to see everybody switching to ironruby ;)