[Ironruby-core] delegate

Michael Letterle michael.letterle at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 10:00:18 EST 2008

That's a bit closer to "true" delegation, in that the same method is
called rather then two seperate methods, but the event handling still
doesn't work because of the way it generates the AST Rule.  Try the
following:

onClick = Proc.new {|sender, e| puts "Called OnClick!" }
onClick2 = Proc.new {sender, e| puts "Called OnClick2!"}

rbutton.Click &onClick
rbutton.Click &onClick2

On Feb 4, 2008 8:47 AM, Alex Young <alex at blackkettle.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 2008-02-04 at 07:28 -0500, Michael Letterle wrote:
> > You /could/ do:
> >
> > rbutton.Click {|sender, e| onClick sender}
> > rbutton2.Click {|sender, e| onClick sender}
> >
> > Though that's still not "true" delegation :)
> >

> Surely:
>
>   on_click_handler = Proc.new {|sender, e| puts "Clicked"}
>
>   rbutton.Click &on_click_handler
>   lbutton.Click &on_click_handler
>
> would do the trick here?  Have I missed something?  It's not impossible
> to also have:
>
>   rbutton.Click -= on_click_handler
>
> later, if you want...
>
> --
> Alex

> > > That's still not quite delegation in the usual sense. What if we have:
> > >
> > > def onClick( sender )
> > >   # do something
> > > end
> > >
> > > ...then have this single method 'wired up' to the Click events on, say,
> > > the 50+ buttons of a scientific calculator? In short, the delegated
> > > methods need to be detached from specific objects. I'm sure the IronRuby
> > > team will provide this in time. It makes a big difference when it comes
> > > to implementing code+form integration ;-)
> > >

> > > best wishes
> > > Huw
> > >
> > > SapphireSteel Software
> > > Ruby and Rails In Visual Studio