[Ironruby-core] YAML for .NET

Mike Moore blowmage at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 10:37:01 EST 2008

IronRuby's YAML library needs to more than just be a YAML lib available to
.NET.  It needs to match the API that the Ruby lib implemented with Syck
has.  It has a particular API, which is why Ola wrote RbYAML in the first
place.  We could use RbYAML (which is written entirely in Ruby) for the yaml
lib in IronRuby, but the JRuby guys found that the performance wasn't there.
 YAML is used in lots of apps, and having it be an order of magnitude slower
on one platform vs. the other isn't good.  So Ola wrote JvYAML, which
follows the Syck API but is written in Java.  That's the port I started on,
and that's what John M is currently working on.
I understand there are other YAML libs out there.  Personally, I'd love to
experiment with F# to get one written.  But unless they follow Syck then
they won't match what Ruby already has.  I know there was an effort at a
university somewhere to write a C# port of Syck, but I don't think it was
ever released.  And I seem to remember the JRuby guys saying that it was
simpler to write it in Java than port Syck.  Also, I seem to recall Syck
isn't going to be worked on anymore.