[Ironruby-core] IronRuby .NET Interop Test Plan

Jim Deville jdeville at microsoft.com
Fri Aug 15 18:24:20 EDT 2008

I've decided to try something a little different. Instead of getting a word document passed around to look at and review, I've decided to put my .NET interop test plan on our  public Ironruby Wiki to get comments from the team and the community. It's not perfect, it's what I'd normally call 1st draft, but this is how I'm going to do this one.

You can find it here: http://ironruby.net/.NET_Testing_plans

We're going to have to have a discussion about what .NET interop means for IronRuby, and what cases are going to work, and what cases aren't. I'd love to have this page be a starting point for that discussion. Turn the bullet points into links, and we can decide what the case means, how it should look, and how it should work.

The way it works now is scenarios and cases. Each scenario describes a .NET object or type. Each case is how to use that object or type. It's essentially a matrix in bullet form, scenarios are rows, cases are columns, or vice versa. This leads to a lot of test cases, which is another area I could use help. I would love if people would write tests that correspond to these cases. I'll be writing them too.

I'll be writing them with the MSpec framework. I'll be getting a folder structure set up  in the repo at $SVN_ROOT/trunk/tests/ironruby/interop. The structure will be based on the sections of this page. I'll try to write up some pages and links on MSpec for people who aren't familiar with it.

As you read this, feel free to make changes, sign up for an account if needed. If you have questions about what I meant, feel free to ask. I'll do my best to explain. This is as much an experiment for me as it may be for you.