[Ironruby-core] IronRuby binary disribution

Curt Hagenlocher curth at microsoft.com
Thu Aug 14 10:32:47 EDT 2008

Note that the error message is now different.  The reason that you see three calls to "Update3" is probably because you required 'net/http' which requires 'net/protocol' which requires 'socket'.  Socket itself is a binary extension in MRI, but IronRuby needs a stub socket.rb to load it.  This stub is in "IronRuby\libs" - but on your command line, you wrote "IronRuby\lib" which is subtly different :).

Thanks.  I tried that (I don't have a ruby installation on the machine I'm trying this on, so I started ir with ir -I "C:\ironruby\lib;C:\ironruby\lib\ruby\1.8".  In the latter of those folders are all the ruby files that came with the binary distribution.)  The result I got is:

>>> require 'net/http'
IronRuby.Libraries:0:in `require': no such file to load -- socket (LoadError)
        from Microsoft.Scripting.Core:0:in `UpdateAndExecute'
        from Microsoft.Scripting.Core:0:in `Update3'
        from :0
        from Microsoft.Scripting.Core:0:in `InvokeTarget'
        from Microsoft.Scripting.Core:0:in `Run'
        from IronRuby.Libraries:0:in `require'
        from Microsoft.Scripting.Core:0:in `UpdateAndExecute'
        from Microsoft.Scripting.Core:0:in `Update3'
        from :0
        from Microsoft.Scripting.Core:0:in `InvokeTarget'
        from Microsoft.Scripting.Core:0:in `Run'
        from IronRuby.Libraries:0:in `require'
        from Microsoft.Scripting.Core:0:in `UpdateAndExecute'
        from Microsoft.Scripting.Core:0:in `Update3'
        from :0
        from Microsoft.Scripting.Core:0:in `InvokeTarget'
        from Microsoft.Scripting.Core:0:in `Run'

Does this mean it's now trying 3 places and failing instead of one place and failing?

Thanks

Mark

Hi Mark,

try running the console with something like:
ir -I
'C:\tools\ironruby\libs;C:\tools\ruby\lib\ruby\site_ruby\1.8;C:\tools\ruby\lib\ruby\1.8'

of course the paths need to be adapted to how they are on your computer.

Cheers
Ivan