[Ironruby-core] Ruby is on 9th Position and C# on 8th as per Tiobe Index.

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Thu Aug 7 07:55:26 EDT 2008

Rahil Kumar wrote:
> Ruby is on 9th Position and C# on 8th as per Tiobe Index.
> These are pleasing news to read that Ruby is jumping very fast.
> http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/content/paperinfo/tpci/index.html
> Will Ruby Takeover the C# position soon...?
> Since JRuby is not mentioned any where, i presume its not considered in
> the Tiobe programming Index. With IronRuby the progress of Ruby shall be
> more faster, and i can imagine, Ruby + IronRuby + Jruby ( Ruby Trio )
> can progress to 5th or 6th position soon.

If you look at the 'definition' of Ruby for TIOBE it includes IronRUby
and JRuby:

TIOBE is *a* measure of popularity. It you look at jobs available for
the different languages on job aggregation sites then C# still hammers
RUby (and Python!).

Popularity (what people talk about) is different from what people use...

Another interesting language popularity site (with a wider range of
metrics than TIOBE) is:

C# does very poorly on their metrics...

Michael Foord