[Ironruby-core] Any one working on...C# to IronRuby Converter...?

Oleg Tkachenko olegtk at microsoft.com
Wed Aug 6 13:59:46 EDT 2008

Well, language converters might be useful sometimes:

1.       When you have huge codebase in some language (usually an old one) and having trouble find people to maintain it (think Cobol payroll system written 30 years ago)

2.       When you have huge codebase on some very expensive platform/system and want to cut costs by switching to open platform/system

3.       When you are very good at one language and want to use it for something it wasn't designed for (think GWT aka Java to Javascript translator)

I've been working for years in a company that makes millions doing points 1 and 2.
I'm not sure how useful C# to Ruby compiler would be though. Starter kits' goal is to demonstrate the language abilities and converted code can be really ugly so that probably bad idea.
Migration to ASP.NET MVC is interesting point. What else?