[Ironruby-core] Regarding IronRuby... How true it sounds from this blog

John Lam (IRONRUBY) jflam at microsoft.com
Tue Apr 29 10:22:07 EDT 2008

Antonio Cangiano:

> The development
> process behind JRuby and Rubinius is very open, while IronRuby's one is
> not nearly enough so.

Impressions are important, and we're working to fix that now.

> While granted IronRuby may appeal to less people than Rubinius or
> JRuby, I still feel that the development process could benefit a lot
> from incremental/daily commits, more transparency and a greater deal of
> control handed to the community.

Agreed - working on this too.

> As Charlie mentioned somewhere else, JRuby is not Sun's, it belongs to
> the community. That statement is entirely backed up by facts, but I'm
> afraid that, at this stage, it isn' possible to claim the same for
> IronRuby.

We will make this happen.

> This, coupled with the fact that ASP.NET and languages like
> C# are clearly Microsoft's main interest, lead me to believe that
> IronRuby is not living up to its full potential.

Those are orthogonal issues. Microsoft isn't "one" entity - it's many, many teams. Those teams that create a product are naturally invested in its success. We have lots of 3rd party software that runs on our platforms - we're a platform company. We have lived in this co-opetition space for a long, long time.

Thanks,
-John