[Ironruby-core] How we will do better at community outreach

John Lam (IRONRUBY) jflam at microsoft.com
Tue Apr 29 09:41:25 EDT 2008

Wayne Kelly:

> The issue that Charles raised about people not knowing what others are
> already working on is an important one. At a higher level, I'd like to
> see a clearer statement of short term and medium term goals and plans
> for getting there. Those plans require people taking ownership of
> certain tasks, so it would be nice to know who is working on what at
> any given stage - both for people within and external to Microsoft.

Wayne - do you think this would be addressed by a scheduled weekly Monday morning scrum round of emails? Folks can post status updates out of band, of course, but observers can watch those scrum mails for more visibility into what various folks are working on.

I started a page here: http://ironruby.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl?Who

> Certainly frequent revisions helps (ideally 2 or 3 per
> week), also timely feedback on what's happening with submitted patches.

That's my fault and I apologize for this. I'll start by doing daily pushes of our tree.

> A number of people are working on entirely new and separate bits, for
> example implementations of native standard libraries. Currently there
> is no common place for external contributors to upload prototypes of
> bits that they are working on. Some form of fileshare or ftp system
> where people could create directories and unload files may be useful,
> prior to them being formally merged into the official distribution.
> This would help us see what people are working on, how far progressed
> they are, and to make comments.

Let me think about this point a bit more. This is related to a point that Pete brought up in a different thread - getting us to fix require and then making it possible for folks to create separate projects. Part of this will involve granting external commit access to the SVN repository - which I'm more than happy to provide. I'll get back to the list about this point later today.

Thanks,
-John