[Ironruby-core] How we will do better at community outreach

Peter Bacon Darwin bacondarwin at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 29 09:31:01 EDT 2008

What about the "fast-tracking the external Ruby library loading", idea?  In
other words, allowing external "IronRuby" library code to be developed and
compiled into a separate assembly so that it can be loaded into the Ruby
runtime via require "...".  (Not to be confused with "requiring" a straight
.NET assembly, which of course we can do already).

This will allow separate OSS projects to be set up that really can have
direct community interaction for those libraries that are not core to the
IronRuby runtime.

The guts of IronRuby are starting to stabilize and there will be less and
less to do there but more and more to do on external libraries.  It could
encourage people to start building library code against IronRuby, therefore
providing even more feedback on both IronRuby runtime and so DLR.  Also, it
could allow the development process to scale out and potentially accelerate
toward goals such as running Rails.

In the long run, surely, this is the model that you want to have anyway.  So
why not push toward it now?

Pete