[Ironruby-core] Regarding IronRuby... How true it sounds from this blog

Michael Letterle michael.letterle at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 09:25:14 EDT 2008

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 9:12 AM, John Lam (IRONRUBY)
<jflam at microsoft.com> wrote:
> Michael Letterle:
>

>  > In a technical fashion?  No.  From an emotional standpoint?  Yes.
>  > Right now IronRuby is very unstable from the view of an outside
>  > contributor, you don't know if the code you're working on now is going
>  > to need /major/ changes in the next drop, and you don't know when
>  > that's going to be.  Why work on a bug that "in truth" may already be
>  > fixed?
>
>  Agreed. We do maintain our external bug list in Rubyforge which folks can monitor (are you all receiving update mails on status changes in tracker?). So you'll know when we've fixed a bug when you see the Resolution changes from None to Accepted along with some kind of comment that says 'fixed in next release'.

Is the internal bug list maintained on RubyForge? RubyForge has been
getting alot more love then before, but I would still like to see more
community members actively use it.

>  > The most important change that MSFT can do is let you push to rubyforge
>  > DIRECTLY, none of this internal updates pushed to rubyforge once in a
>  > while.  I assume it's corporate preventing this, because it really make
>  > no sense otherwise.  What we have here isn't an OSS community project
>  > in the traditional sense, what we have is a Microsoft project that
>  > they've so kindly, in their infinite wisdom allow us commoners to work
>  > on now and then.  Oh but you can't see or touch the real code until
>  > we're ready to let you.  This is HIGHLY discouraging.
>
>  I've set the releases traditionally based on whether we had something 'interesting' to ship. Sometimes we might go a week or even longer before substantive changes happen in the Ruby tree. Such is life when working on compilers - you simply do not check in very often. Remember that we have Tomas as a full time dev and me as a part time dev on this project. We're hiring as well - please send me mail off-list if you're interested.

"Check-in early and often", it doesn't matter if the changes are
interesting or there's new features, maybe something that isn't
interesting to you that seems mundane is something that causes another
developer to be able to create something new and interesting.  OSS
development is all about collaboration, collaborating is hard when one
is left in the dark until something "interesting" happens :)

--
Michael Letterle
[Polymath Prokrammer]