[Ironruby-core] Regarding IronRuby... How true it sounds from this blog

Steve Eichert steve.eichert at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 17:15:11 EDT 2008

> * Would mirroring our internal repo on a commit-by-commit basis help with the repository issues? Would it help with the ownership feelings?
> I think it would help for sure.

> * How can we be more transparent about what we are working on, and where we are heading? A blog? A weekly posting?
> I'm not as concerned with the medium of the information (blog, this
mailing list, wiki) as long as the community has access to the information.
A daily or weekly or as often as possible scrum like status update that the
community would be able to see would be cool.

What did you work on since the last update
What will you be working on until the next scheduled update
What's getting in the way of progress

This would provide the benefit of letting people have a glimpse of where the
team is focusing their attention, as well as potential areas that they could
lend a hand.  As an example, if Tomas says he's working on X, but the fact
that Y isn't done yet is making it a little more difficult, and he also
makes it clear that Y isn't something he or anyone else is going to be able
to get to in the near future Y could be something the community tries to
lend a hand with.  I could see someone like Wayne doing a similar status
since at least from the sounds of it he's trying to spearhead some of the
work on ruby gems + rails.

> * Would mirroring the repo to other formats help? Would releasing alpha binaries be worthwhile?
> <warning_thinking_out loud_without_giving_it_much_thought>
Conceptually a git like repo seems like it would offer some interesting
advantages.  I'm a git newbie, but from what I've heard and read it really
encourages people to fork projects and play around with different ideas.
Currently, I can't see what anyone else in the community is working on, let
alone the IronRuby team itself.  I think  in order to foster a real
community around IronRuby we need to not only make the ironRuby team itself
more transparent, but increase the transparency of the community as a
whole.  Perhaps IronRuby should jump on the github bandwagon? :)