[Ironruby-core] Regarding IronRuby... How true it sounds from this blog

Peter Bacon Darwin bacondarwin at googlemail.com
Mon Apr 28 13:36:58 EDT 2008

I believe one of the key problems is the DLR.  As I understand, it MS makes
a distinction between "important" stuff (i.e. the DLR) and "peripheral"
stuff (i.e. IronXxxx).  MS wants to have complete control over the DLR and
is not interested in making it Open Source.  Rather the DLR code is just
community viewable, much like the rest of the .NET framework code.  I can
understand this since core .NET Framework code is central to the MS strategy
and they don't want things sneaking in the sides.

IronRuby, IronPython and so on are not so important to MS strategy and they
are more happy to let the community muck about with the code.  I believe
that the long term goal is to open up the IronXxxx code much more to the
community but the problem is that the line between the DLR and the IronXxxx
languages is not yet nailed down.  Therefore until that happens MS is
unlikely to hand over the project to the community.

I would be interested to know how often an SVN dump is created compared to
successful check-ins going through the SNAP process.  Ideally, every
successful SNAP check-in should get automatically dumped out on the
RubyForge SVN repos, whether it added value or broke the tests or whatever.
You can always have SVN tags on the "good" builds and also create
downloadable "good" releases on the RubyForge site - this point would
probably help Justin Bailey's access problems too.

Another scenario, which /M:D alludes to if I understand correctly, is to
allow the community to modify the code in the RubyForge project and then let
MS select "good" builds to check back into the Team system via the SNAP
process.  That way, the community feels ownership of the project and MS get
that quality control on what finally goes into IronRuby.  There are
obviously many technical hurdles to overcome before this could become
reality.  In particular, there needs to be a separation of DLR from
IronXxxx, including, probably, some kind of stable release of the DLR for
the IronXxxx projects to work off.

Any other ideas?  John what are you thinking here?

Pete