[Ironruby-core] Regarding IronRuby... How true it sounds from this blog

M. David Peterson m.david at xmlhacker.com
Mon Apr 28 12:28:29 EDT 2008

On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 10:05:43 -0600, Charles Oliver Nutter
<charles.nutter at sun.com> wrote:

> And this seems to happen again and again. Not only does it slow the
> process of fixing bugs, it makes it impossible for people to want to
> help fix them. If you can never know you're running against the latest
> sources, the process of finding a bug, emailing to see if it's fixed
> already, and probably waiting for that fix to arrive is extremely
> discouraging.

I agree.  If I am remembering correctly, one of the primary reasons behind
the dual-repository approach is the need to run a myriad of internal tests
 from a test suite that reaches farther and deeper than just IronRuby, and
therefore can not see the light of day outside the MSFT firewall.

John, is this an accurate assessment?  If yes, while I certainly recognize
the need to run the code against internal test suites, couldn't it be
looked at from the opposite perspective?That of: We, the community, tell
you, the big bad corporate firewall, when you get to gain access to *our*
code to run your tests.  We will continue on our way checking it whatever
we want whenever we want, and you can use repository revisions as a marker
to determine what can be viewed as "blessed" and what can not as far as
releases are concerned.

If it really is an issue with intellectual property et. al, you can keep
those results locked up in a bit locker that guarantees they'll never
experience life outside their darkened dungeon. We, the community, are not
interested in the results of internal tests, and we certainly would
understand that, regardless of the results of our external tests, there
are certain check boxes that need to be checked by powers unknown to us
before an officially blessed release can be made.  All we care about is
passing the spec, something which is, quite obviously, controlled outside
the grasp of Redmond's barbed [fire]wire-trimmed walls.  If it takes a few
extra weeks to take a particular revision of the repository through the
internal ringer before getting the official rubber stamp, then so be it.
It wouldn't be getting in the way of development progress, and if not
mistaken, this is really the core of the argument as to why the process is
currently broken.

Food for thought...

M. David Peterson
Co-Founder & Chief Architect, 3rd&Urban, LLC
Email: m.david at 3rdandUrban.com | m.david at amp.fm
Mobile: (206) 999-0588
http://3rdandUrban.com | http://amp.fm |