[Ironruby-core] Regarding IronRuby... How true it sounds from this blog

M. David Peterson m.david at xmlhacker.com
Mon Apr 28 12:03:37 EDT 2008

On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 09:44:50 -0600, Antonio Cangiano <acangiano at gmail.com>
wrote:

> As Charlie mentioned somewhere else, JRuby is not Sun's, it belongs to
> the community. That statement is entirely backed up by facts, but I'm
> afraid that, at this stage, it isn' possible to claim the same for
> IronRuby. This, coupled with the fact that ASP.NET and languages like C#
> are clearly Microsoft's main interest, lead me to believe that IronRuby
> is not living up to its full potential.

Nicely stated!  Of course, as per my previous argument, I do believe
consideration needs to be made as to the difference between the outside >
in approach that JRuby represents and the inside > out approach
represented by IronRuby.  None-the-less, there needs to be some faith
building exercises coming from the direction of MSFT that help bring a
better sense of community ownership to the project, that's without a doubt!

> Microsoft has the resources and brilliant minds (e.g. John Lam) to
> seriously reconsider its approach to this project, in order to really
> let it take off.

Absolutely!

--
/M:D

M. David Peterson
Co-Founder & Chief Architect, 3rd&Urban, LLC
Email: m.david at 3rdandUrban.com | m.david at amp.fm
Mobile: (206) 999-0588
http://3rdandUrban.com | http://amp.fm |
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/au/2354