[Ironruby-core] Regarding IronRuby... How true it sounds from this blog

Charles Oliver Nutter charles.nutter at sun.com
Mon Apr 28 11:07:01 EDT 2008

M. David Peterson wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 08:05:02 -0600, John Lam (IRONRUBY)
> <jflam at microsoft.com> wrote:
>> He also gets a number of important technical details wrong about
>> IronRuby, I'll respond later today.
> I can point out at least one: "IronRuby really has its roots in the
> Ruby.NET project from Queensland University of Technology" is incorrect.
> The IronRuby parser/scanner was bootstrapped by the Ruby.NET
> parser/scanner, but has since removed all signs of the Ruby.NET
> parser/scanner in favor of a from-the-ground-up implementation written
> entirely by -- I believe -- Tomas Matousek. Of course, as Charlie points
> out somewhat correctly in his opening paragraph,

The IronRuby parser/scanner being bootstrapped by the Ruby.NET
parser/scanner is certainly enough to say that's where IronRuby's roots
lie. And even without that, IronRuby probably wouldn't have been
attempted if Ruby.NET had shown it to be too difficult or impossible.
IronRuby owes Ruby.NET for its birth, at least.

>> IronRuby was still Wilco Bauer's IronRuby, a doomed codebase and
>> project name eventually to be adopted by Microsoft's later Ruby
>> implementation effort.
> ... which is at least partially correct, if not a bit misleading given
> that for all intents and purposes the IronRuby project of today is a
> from-the-ground-up implementation of the Ruby language and runtime based
> on top of the from-the-ground-up Dynamic Language Runtime code base and
> architecture.

No, it's an entirely correct statement. At the time, IronRuby was
Wilco's project, and no IronRuby work had been started at MS. I did not
make any claim that the codebase was somehow reused or incorporated into
the official "IronRuby", and made a point of calling it doomed because
as far as I know it's never going to be touched again.

Perhaps I should have said:

"IronRuby" was still Wilco Bauer's IronRuby, ...

- Charlie