[Ironruby-core] Regarding IronRuby... How true it sounds from this blog

Charles Oliver Nutter charles.nutter at sun.com
Mon Apr 28 11:02:56 EDT 2008

M. David Peterson wrote:
> That said, I most definitely agree with Charlie's thoughts regarding the
> overall community collaboration and contributions as it relates to the
> IronRuby project.  But I'm less inclined to put the blame entirely on
> MSFT's shoulders.  The door has certainly been open for the community to
> contribute, and several folks have taken advantage of that.  And John
> and company have certainly proven a willingness to rapidly inject the
> various contributions into the source tree as soon as these same
> contributions seem viable enough to be injected into the source tree.

I disagree, and you need look no further than this mailing list to see
the truth. Of the perhaps 40 threads I see started since Apr 3, I see
only 8 that were started by folks from Microsoft...all John Lam...two of
those SVN update emails. So perhaps 6 substantive threads where the
initiator is someone from the IronRuby team.

In order for an OSS project to work, any core team needs to be having
conversations in the open. Since this is clearly not happening, it would
be the first thing to change. I don't know if it's Microsoft policy or
just an oversight by the IronRuby team.

And obviously not tossing SVN bundles over the wall would help foster a
bit more dynamic community. It's far more difficult (maybe impossible)
to run an OSS project well if the community members can't update their
working copies to exactly what the core team sees day-to-day. This one
is most likely an MS issue.

- Charlie