[Ironruby-core] Regarding IronRuby... How true it sounds from this blog

M. David Peterson m.david at xmlhacker.com
Mon Apr 28 10:52:08 EDT 2008

On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 08:05:02 -0600, John Lam (IRONRUBY)
<jflam at microsoft.com> wrote:

> He also gets a number of important technical details wrong about
> IronRuby, I'll respond later today.

I can point out at least one: "IronRuby really has its roots in the
Ruby.NET project from Queensland University of Technology" is incorrect.
The IronRuby parser/scanner was bootstrapped by the Ruby.NET
parser/scanner, but has since removed all signs of the Ruby.NET
parser/scanner in favor of a from-the-ground-up implementation written
entirely by -- I believe -- Tomas Matousek. Of course, as Charlie points
out somewhat correctly in his opening paragraph,

> IronRuby was still Wilco Bauer's IronRuby, a doomed codebase and project
> name eventually to be adopted by Microsoft's later Ruby implementation
> effort.

... which is at least partially correct, if not a bit misleading given
that for all intents and purposes the IronRuby project of today is a
from-the-ground-up implementation of the Ruby language and runtime based
on top of the from-the-ground-up Dynamic Language Runtime code base and

M. David Peterson
Co-Founder & Chief Architect, 3rd&Urban, LLC
Email: m.david at 3rdandUrban.com | m.david at amp.fm
Mobile: (206) 999-0588
http://3rdandUrban.com | http://amp.fm |