[Ironruby-core] Update on specs and String

John Lam (IRONRUBY) jflam at microsoft.com
Sat Apr 12 02:16:57 EDT 2008

I've spent the better part of this week working on String with the targeted goal of implementing the subset of String that's required to run Rails. Below is a list of the methods that we see Rails using, and the specs that are passing as of tonight.

I haven't really done anything with %, delete, tr, and unpack which reflects their low pass rate. In many of the cases where we are almost at 100%, we aren't passing the specs that require us to return a subclass of String where the method (eg gsub) is invoked on the subclass of String. This is pretty strange behavior that Rails doesn't appear to use (they monkey patch String rather than deriving from it), so our pass rate is actually quite a lot higher than it might appear right now (70%). So getting subclass behavior correct is going to be a low priority thing for the foreseeable future.

In any event, this shelveset isn't quite ready to ship yet, but I thought I'd update folks with progress so that you can see where we're at as of tonight. This should get checked in sometime next week.

Thanks,
-John

name            pass    total  %
%               31      69      45%