[Ironruby-core] problems with strongly named assemblies

Stefan Hüttenrauch stefan.huettenrauch at hpi.uni-potsdam.de
Wed Sep 26 12:29:06 EDT 2007

Hi together,

I tried to assign a strong name to the IronRuby DLLs to be used with
Sharepoint.
Therefore I opened the IronRuby.sln in VS2005 and changed the properties of
every reference project to use src/microsoft.scripting/DebugKey.snk as a
keyfile to sign the assembly, b/c it was the only key file I found.
Doing so I got an error message building the solution (Referenced Assembly Ruby
does not have a strong name). So it seems that signing the Ruby
project/assembly doesn't work.

My second attempt was to generate a new keypair with sn.exe referencing it in
the ruby project properties and treating it isolated from the IronRuby
solution. No success.

I then tried ildasm followed by ilasm using a self-generated keypair file for
the Microsoft.Scripting.dll first and after another build the Ruby.dll. It
worked, at least I could copy the dlls to my global assembly cache. But!!
Referencing both dlls in a VS2005 project threw the following exception right
after starting the application:
Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.Scripting, Version=1.0.0.400,
Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies. A
strongly-named assembly is required.

Now I am wondering why something is still asking for an assembly with
PublicKeyToken=null, since both Ruby.dll and Microsoft.Scripting.dll are signed
with a strong name.

Do you have any advice?
Did I take the wrong way somewhere?

Looking forward to an answer...