[Ironruby-core] ruby implementation and Jscript implementation.

John Messerly jomes at microsoft.com
Fri Sep 21 15:51:24 EDT 2007

Hi Olivier,

>From the error message it does appear to that your project is referencing the 2.0 version of mscorlib, because that overload of DefineDynamicAssembly is only present in the Silverlight version of mscorlib. (A good way to see what assemblies are being referenced is to look at the command line that is being passed to csc).

If you're building this in Visual Studio, you'll want to create another project configuration (or two) for Silverlight builds, and then in that configuration check "don't automatically reference mscorlib" (under Project > Properties... > Build > Advanced...). Then add a reference to the Silverlight version of mscorlib and System. If you're using something else to build, you'll have to set whatever option excludes the automatic mscorlib reference, and adds correct reference paths. Whatever route you take, it should ultimately turn into these compiler flags:

csc.exe /nostdlib+ /reference:..\..\Program Files\Microsoft Silverlight\mscorlib.dll /reference:..\..\Program Files\Microsoft Silverlight\System.dll ...
(where your reference path might be slightly different depending on where your project is and where you put the Silverlight versions of mscorlib and System)

Another point worth mentioning, the version of mscorlib.dll & System.dll in Silverlight are still under development. The last source snapshot of Microsoft.Scripting (DLR) that was fully in sync with the Alpha Refresh release of Silverlight is the 2.0 alpha 1 release, here: http://www.codeplex.com/IronPython/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=438. If you're using a more recent version of the DLR, you might run into incompatibilities building against Silverlight. As both DLR and Silverlight stabilize we expect greater compatibility between releases.

Cheers,
John