[Ironruby-core] Contributor agreements are ready

Eric Nicholson enicholson at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 17:16:48 EDT 2007

Great!  I can attest that it's pretty painless too.  Except that newborn
clause... ;)

Anyways, once that we've signed the agreement, how do we approach external
but related code?  IronRuby is surrounded by directly & indirectly related
open source projects (Matz's Ruby, jRuby, numerous libraries, etc).  Do we
need to avoid all of that code entirely for risk of patent & copyright
contamination?  Is it OK to peek at how they solved the same problems?  Can
we use the same algorithms?

Obviously lifting code is inappropriate on many levels, but pretending we're
solving problems for the first time seems a little backwards too.

-Eric