[Ironruby-core] zlib implementation

M. David Peterson m.david at xmlhacker.com
Sat Sep 15 23:57:33 EDT 2007

On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 19:47:42 -0600, John Lam (CLR) <jflam at microsoft.com>
wrote:

> 1)      System.IO.Compression (we still have to solve the Silverlight
> problem since I just looked and saw that it doesn’t ship in Silverlight).

Just noticed that the system.dll assembly in Silverlight provides support
for the System.Net.DecompressionMethods enumeration, which
System.Net.HttpWebRequest.AutomaticDecompression uses to determine the
compression/decompression algorithm to use as part of the HttpWebRequest.
The values of the enum are Deflate, GZip, or None.

Me: "Lutz-O-Mirror on-the-wall, is GZip compression supported after all?"

---
public override DecompressionMethods AutomaticDecompression
{
     get
     {
         return DecompressionMethods.None;
     }
     set
     {
         throw new NotSupportedException();
     }
}
---

Me: "DRAT!"

Me: "Lutz-O-Mirror on-the-wall, any chance they'll implement support by
end of fall?"

Lutz-O-Mirror: "Do I look like a Fortune Teller?"

Me: "Yes."

Lutz-O-Mirror: "No."

Me: "No, they won't implement support?"

Lutz-O-Mirror: "No, I'm not a Fortune Teller! I can only reflect upon what
already exists, not what might exist in the future!"

Me: "Hmmm... What good is a Fortune Teller who can't tell me the future?"

Lutz-O-Mirror: "I'M NOT A FORTUNE TELLER!"

... and it was at this point of the conversation that I decided it was
time to put away Lutz-O-Mirror for the night.  Seems some sleep will
probably do him some good, huh?! ;-)

So while the obviously overworked-and-underpaid Lutz-O-Mirror is sleeping,
anybody at MSFT care to take on his fortune telling responsibilities?

--
/M:D

M. David Peterson
http://mdavid.name | http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/au/2354 |